Areas of Interest:
I’m an ethnomusicologist, Irish music specialist, and popular music scholar with research interests in: Ethnicity, Identity, Nationalism and Cosmopolitanism; Folk, Traditional, Celtic, and Popular Musics of Ireland, UK, North America, and Australia; Music and Songs of Social Protest; Music and the Utopian Impulse; and Urban Soundscapes and Critical Citizenship. I’m based in the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance at the University of Limerick. I’ve spent Autumn 2017 as a visiting fellow at the Keough-Naughton Institute of Irish Studies, University of Notre Dame, and Spring 2018 as a research fellow in King’s College, London
PhD in Ethnomusicology, University of Chicago: ‘Sound Tracts, Songlines, and Soft Repertoires: Irish Music, Performance, and the City of Chicago.’ (2009)
MA in Irish Music Studies, University of Limerick, Ireland: ‘The Ivory Bridge: The Introduction of the Piano to 78rmp Recordings of Irish Music in America, c. 1910-1945.’ (2000)
B.Mus, University College Cork, National University of Ireland.
- ICTM (International Council for Traditional
- ICTM Ireland (International Council for Traditional Music, Ireland)
- ACIS (American Conference for Irish Studies)
- SEM (Society for Ethnomusicology)
- SAM (Society American Music)
- IASPM (International Association for the Study of Popular Music)
External editorial roles:
- Series editor – Popular Musics Matter (Rowman and Littlefield International) since 2017.
- Series editor – Power, Discourse and Society (Rowman and Littlefield International) since 2015.
- Deputy Editor, Journal of International Council for Traditional Music, Ireland, since 2015
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of ICTM Ireland since 2013.
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of the Society for Musicology in Ireland, 2007-2010.
- Peer-reviewer for Applied Ethnomusicology since 2015.
- Peer-reviewer for Voices: A World Forum for Music Therapy since 2014.
- Peer-reviewer for Music and Medicine since 2013.
- Peer-reviewer for New Hibernai Review/Iris Éireannach Nua, (University of St. Thomas), since 2013.
- Peer-reviewer for Yearbook for Traditional Music (Journal of the International Council for Traditional Music ICTM) since 2013.
- Peer-reviewer for Ethnomusicology (Journal of the Society for Ethnomusicology SEM), since 2012.
External professional roles:
- Board member of the Irish Fulbright Alumni Association 2015-2016.
- Board member of the Irish Humanities Alliance working advocacy and policy advisory group, 2013- 2017.
- Co-convener of ‘Celtic Music’ special interest group (SIG) for SEM, Society for Ethnomusicology 2012-2014.
- Adjudicator for the National Undergraduate Dissertation Competition, Society for Musicology in Ireland.
- Board Member of the Society for Musicology in Ireland, 2007-2010.
- Board Member of the Irish Traditional Music Archive, Dublin, Ireland, 2006-2009.
- Founding Member, International Council for Traditional Music (ICTM) Ireland, 2003.
- O’Donnell Irish Studies Research Fellowship, Newman College, University of Melbourne, 2015-2016.
- Irish American Cultural Institute Research Grant, 2002-2003.
- Century Fellowship Recipient, University of Chicago, 1998-2003.
- Fulbright Scholarship, University of Chicago, 1998-2003.
Love the site! All the best with the launch